Saturday, July 6, 2013

Homeschooling during the summer

Since we had so many things go on this year, like welcoming our baby twins Hudson & Beckham!  We ran behind on school stuff, which is basically what has happened every year.  So I just stick to a similar school day routine even during the summer, kind of.

It is different because during the regular school year I just have Katy and Ava Marie home with me.  During the summer I also have Madyson & Mackenzie.  So we include them and just have them do things appropriate to their level of work.



Madyson works in a reading book I purchased at Costco from Sylvan Learning.  It is broken into 3 section, Spelling, Vocabulary and Comprehension.  We try to do one page from each of 2 sections every morning.  Last year she went to summer school at the public school.  She had 2 hours of reading help, 1 hour of art and 1 hour of swimming.  It was great but she really didn't want to go this year because she missed a lot of the stuff we did together as a family.

Ava Marie is also working on a workbook I got at Costco.  Since she is basically going into Kindergarten, I looked first at the Kindergarten books, but she already knows the stuff they had in there.  Letters, numbers, colors, etc.  She knows all of her letter both lowercase and capitals, and the sounds of the letters and some sight words.

So I just give her things to keep her busy for now, she loves to color.  And then when they are done we read together because that is where she really is, pre-reading.  I have a feeling she will be reading basic Level 1 books by the time school starts!



This was taken before Madyson Claire got her hair done!!


Ava marie kept looking at the pages and saying, "I already know this!"


Katy spends a lot of time in the kitchen.  She loves to bake and even though she doesn't actually like chocolate (I know, how can anybody NOT like chocolate?!).  She still makes a lot of chocolate goodies for the rest of us!! Yea!

Katy does 2 math lessons per day and then reads for at least an hour.  She is trying to keep up with Mackenzie who spends all of her extra time reading.




Mackenzie, you may remember, has been busy with a lot of rehearsals for her show Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  She is right in the center with the white headband on.  She really had a great time with this show and did a lot of reading backstage.  By the end of June she has read 12 books since school let out.  I am proud of her focus!  She loves mysteries!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I know I never comment, but I am so thankful for your comments on my blog! I'm also so glad you were able to order some cute goodies from my Kelly's Kids party! I'll have to keep an eye out for her on your blog this fall. :)